Thursday 20 September 2007

Two Classes and a Wedding

Yet another busy day in SL.

The two classes were Prim Shoes and Hair, the wedding was sandwiched between them. I had arranged with Rose to start the Prim Shoes class half an hour earlier, and the Hair class an hour later than last week. This worked very well, though it did mean I was finishing rather late. My Prim Shoe class was very quiet, but that meant I was able to give close help and the class finished on time. The Hair one is the one that gave me such problems last week, this week it went much more smoothly, but really needs to be updated to reflect modern styles.

The wedding. This was the first wedding I had attended in SL, it was the joining of Kara and Hooyha, and was beautifully done. I am happy for them, and I wish them the best. I really hope they can stay together, I really do, but my experience with Peter clouds my feelings.

SL is very ethereal, always changing. Places I visited when I was a newbie (only 4-5 months ago) have either changed or gone. If there is one underlying rule in SL is that everything changes, quickly. A great castle could appear one day and be gone the next. This also applies to residents, we all know of residents who were once here but have gone now, some go without leaving a hole, but some go and the hole left is felt for weeks, months after.

When Peter and I partnered, there was no ceremony, no wedding. He offered and after a talk I accepted. I still feel the excitement, just remembering the day. I would have liked a wedding, but Peter did not want to make a big fuss, it was something just between us. Would a wedding have helped? I don't know, I suspect not. Though we were matched in someways, I think we were not matched in the right ways, sooner or later we would have parted. In RL you cannot disappear, and any problems you have you must face. In SL you can just log off, and never return. You don't need to think of the consequences of your actions because you will never face them. This is something we, in SL, must accept, that even residents are ethereal.

I am still looking for romance, a man to be with, to hold me, to love me, to accept me for everything I am. I want the fairy tale, but I don't expect to find anything that will last. Can i see myself getting married in SL? I would love to, to wear a beautiful dress, to stand before my man and say I do. But I cannot see myself doing this. To me a marriage is a commitment, something not to be taken lightly, something that will sometimes need work to keep. Maybe my man fully intends to honor that commitment at the start, but later? I know, I'm being negative, a cynic, maybe in time I will feel different. lol, even I am subject to the underlying SL rule.

Be who you are, no changes can destroy that.

Afon

No comments: